The speech language pathologists at the Speech Center at Augusta – Aiken ENT & Allergy provide evaluations and treatments for a wide range of voice and swallowing disorders. Our experts have earned their certification of clinical competence in speech-pathology through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
Voice evaluations are required to determine the cause of your voice disorder. These include:
- Perceptual evaluations of your voice including assessment of pitch (too high or too low), quality (hoarse, nasal) and loudness (too loud or too soft).
- Videostroboscopic examinations of the larynx are performed to obtain magnified, well visualized slow motion video recordings of the movement of your vocal cords.
- Radiographic evaluations help to detect causes of excessive nasal resonance. These are performed at Trinity hospital.
- Differential diagnosis of paradoxical vocal cord movement requires a thorough history and voice assessment.
- Preoperative analysis of laryngectomy determines the patients’ ability to use and care for their speaking valves.
A clinical evaluation of your ability to swallow is completed with the use of:
- Fiberoptic endoscopy evaluation of swallow (FEES) technology is used to visualize and track the food’s course into the esophagus.
- Modified barium swallow studies (MBSS) are performed in partnership with either Doctors or Trinity Hospital’s radiology departments to detect blockage and/or restriction of food passing through the mouth and into the throat.
There are a number of different treatment approaches, including:
- Resonant Voice
- Flow Phonation
- Confidential Voice
- Vocal Function Exercises
- Lee Silverman Voice Therapy
- Tension Displacement Protocol
Swallowing problems are treated through the use of stabilizing strategies such as:
- Chin tucks to protect the airway.
- Head turns to direct passage of food though the most open passage.
- Exercises to strengthen tongue base movement.
Speech Center Locations
The Speech Center operates at the Augusta and Evan locations.
The hours are as follows: